Thursday, January 17, 2013

More on Playlists, Support

Well I initially set out yesterday to add playlist support to the Media Player. This turned into deciding that the entire media player needed a complete rewrite in order to resolve some lingering issues that were becoming a nuisance as I added more features. Therefore the media player code has been completely redone. It isn't likely that any of you will notice the difference, but with the way I've redesigned the code I can maintain it much more easily and add features a lot faster as well. There should be less issues with things like Media keys on the keyboard and such too.

Support:
On another note, I would like to remind everyone to PLEASE e-mail me if you have any problems using this app. If you only write a review in the store, I can't help you. I have no way of contacting you through there, and the odds of me being able to solve your problem with no information given to me is much lower. Not that I am against people rating my app poorly if that's how you feel, but holding a 1 star review over my head because of what you think is a bug without any attempt to contact me first doesn't help me solve your problem. I make bugs a huge priority, so if you report them to me I will try and solve your issue as quickly as possible. I typically respond to most e-mails within a few minutes or at least every couple hours.

This Media Player and DRM:
Also I've noticed that some things my app gets rated badly for are not things I can help. This media player is only capable of playing media you are allowed to play. It WILL NOT play DRM protected media outside of your authorized devices. What this means is that if you download a movie in iTunes and copy it to your Surface tablet running Windows RT, it WILL NOT WORK! iTunes media uses DRM protection that authenticates with the iTunes software to determine if you are allowed to play it or not. Windows RT has no iTunes, therefore iTunes DRM protected media will not play here. If you play it on your computer with iTunes installed (assuming that computer is an authorized device for your iTunes account), it should work fine. If you want to bypass DRM protections, you will need a different tool to convert the content. I will be adding this information to the description in the next update since apparently at least 1 person doesn't know about this. The app DOES play m4v files if they aren't protected. Also don't forget you may need certain codecs installed to play certain media files. I don't have Windows RT to test with no I don't know how easy it is to obtain some of them for that. I recommend trying to use MP4 as those will most likely play. Handbrake does a good job of converting most any video to MP4.

Okay, back to working on the media player! I want to get you all this update before the weekend if I can. If I don't get the update in before Friday morning it typically won't be approved until Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment