Sunday, January 27, 2013

Another update on the way (Release 9 is now live!)

Update: Release 9 is now live in the store! Go download it and try the new Weather module!
Here's a sneak peak at the new Weather module (using my favorite "Nemesis" system type, of course!)




Does it look like I can't add any more modules because all of the buttons on the left are now filled? Not to worry, as I have some "tricks" up my sleeve for when I need to add more! And add more I will...the month of February should be a big month for updates, as I will have a lot more free time than I have had the past couple weeks.

(Update 1/28/2013) Also attached to this update is the new privacy policy, which I am required to have by the Windows Store now that this app requires Internet permissions. You can see this from the link to the right, or from within the app in the Settings charm. I also added a link to this website in the Settings charm for convenience, and maybe some who don't know about this page because of not seeing the link in the store will now be able to find it. I would love if everyone who uses this app would visit this site often, because I like keeping everyone aware of what's going on. I know that I hate wondering if/when a certain thing will ever be added to an app. It's a lot of extra time and effort to keep this blog, which is now almost a real website, up to date, but it's time well spent as far as I'm concerned.

------------------------------------
Sorry for the lack of activity this week. But that doesn't mean there isn't new stuff coming! I am pretty close to having the weather module complete, and that's only one of the bunch of other pieces I'm working on to get implemented eventually! It should be sent in for review in the next couple days. Unfortunately for my international friends, this part will only work for United States cities right now. Why? It's hard to find a weather service that I can use for free. This app comes nowhere close to generating the kind of revenue some services charge for just getting the weather. With the Google API no longer being in service to the public, the NOAA is my only option I've found so far to use and it only seems to work with United States zip codes. According to Microsoft about 90% of my downloads have been from the United States so I wanted to at least get it working for that group. I'm still investigating possible alternatives, so if you know of any that might be free, please let me know!

This weather module is my first attempt at using web services that need HTML/XML parsing. I'm hoping that by figuring this out I will be able to add functionality from additional services in the future that work this way, which seems to be quite a few.

I noticed a review on the store that confused me quite a bit. Reviewer Stephen, please e-mail me if you read this! If anybody else using WindowsRT (such as on Microsoft Surface RT) can e-mail me and tell me if the latest version of the LCARS Interface app is available for you, I would appreciate it! The latest version should have the playlist functionality for the media player. I'm very confused by this question, as I've made this app to run on any platform (x86, x64, ARM) and so I only upload one package to the Windows Store that should work on all of them. That would frustrate me a lot if Microsoft isn't getting the latest version pushed to my Windows RT customers after a week of it being in the store....

No comments:

Post a Comment