Saturday, April 6, 2013

LCARS Simulator Coming Soon to WP7 and more International Markets!

I had a request yesterday and as that usually goes, I give it a try if I can. I spent some time this morning taking my LCARS control framework from Windows Phone 8 and porting it back to work on Windows Phone 7. With all of the Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 stuff happening in the past few months, it's easy to forget that Windows Phone 7 still has more than half of the Windows Phone market share, and that is even higher in a lot of countries outside the United States!

Read on if you like to read all the details.



To sum up my experiences, it wasn't that hard to make it work on the older Phone OS version. The LCARS Simulator, which is currently only available for Windows Phone 8, will be released hopefully sometime next week for Windows Phone 7! In my testing, the functionality (as best I can tell with an emulator, anyways) of the two is exactly the same for this app and so you won't be missing out on anything by having the older phone.

I also now have the necessary rating certificates so that the app will be available in more international markets for both Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8. The delays in making this happen are purely on how long it takes Microsoft to approve changes, and the fact that I can't cancel and revise a phone app before it finishes the process like I can a Windows 8 Store app. These things are ready to go right now on my end.

I am currently in the process of looking for ways to enhance this simulator so that it will be more fun and challenging. Right now it's a solid tribute to the old text game, but those of you who play it a lot probably find it gets pretty easy after a while. If you have any suggestions on how to do this, please let me know! I have gotten a lot of feedback on this game so far and I am glad that many of you like it! Now I need to keep you interested...

1 comment: