Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Next Update This Week

I made a lot of progress on the new module over the weekend and last night. It's turning out to be a  lot more work than I originally thought, but I think you all are going to like this one. This piece has the potential to be its own app, but it's just being added into the main one instead as I want to make this app the best value possible. The only reason this app costs money is because it costs me money to make it and I refuse to dirty up a LCARS interface with ads to support it. The other reason is that since programming Windows Store apps is not my day job, I just don't currently have the time to support potentially thousands of users who would download this if it was free. I don't like low quality software, and I take every single piece of feedback or review that gets posted seriously and respond to it immediately. If someone says it's not working, I try as hard as I can to figure out why. This app is still young, now just over a month old. It's certainly not slapped together from a code perspective, which is why it takes time to add big updates. I spend as much or more time on design of the interface and code structure than I do actually writing the code itself. I'm also converting this app to use DirectX for the sound processing. The native media elements are not cutting it. I'm sure some of you may have noticed that the sounds occasionally get cut off when performing other actions. That won't happen anymore after the next update.

I do find it interesting that some users think that this app either costs too much or needs more functionality for the price. C'mon people, it's 3 dollars (or the equivalent in your local currency)! If you get more than 20 minutes of use out of it over its lifetime, it's a better value than going to the movies if you consider time entertained for money. After I add this next update, you surely should get at least that much out of it. I'm hoping to wrap up the coding and testing in the next couple of days, and then I will submit it to the Windows Store. I hope it doesn't take as long to approve this update as the last one, but this one adds a whole lot more for them to check I suppose. It seems like I've been making you wait forever for this update, but the last one wasn't even released a week ago. Since it took 4 days to approve it last time it feels like forever to me since I was done with that update almost 2 weeks ago. 

That's it for now. One big update coming next and will hopefully be this week. International weather should be in the update after this one. I've been investigating how to do it, I just haven't had time to code it with this other part taking 100% of my development time. But the next update is going to be the best part of this app in my opinion. I will update again when it passes certification.

No comments:

Post a Comment