Monday, April 27, 2015

Windows 10 and LCARS

Windows 10 is looking like quite a product.  We installed the preview on an OLD Netbook (like pre-Clover Trail series Atom processor) and it actually runs reasonably well for basic tasks. I imagine the new browser they are coming out with will make it even better.

Our apps also run on it quite nicely too. The hardware requirements for LCARS Interface seem to be pretty low! Our typical test device is a first generation Surface RT, so everything that good or better shouldn't have any problems. We've also been taking it up a notch in the new animations we're working on and everything still seems to be silky smooth right now on Windows 8 and Windows Phone. That's one of the reasons we like having native apps that aren't running some kind of virtualization layer. You're getting the full capabilities of your hardware with less overhead. This rules out having it work cross-platform to things other than Windows based platforms, but the Windows platform continues to grow across many types of devices, and you may even see some form of LCARS come to XBox eventually. With Windows 10, Windows 7 users will be able to upgrade for free and have access to Windows Store apps too.  Other platforms of mobile devices have or are soon going to have LCARS apps.

We've got a lot of new progress to share but it will need its own blog post! We will get to that pretty soon.

9 comments:

  1. hello my name terry. BIG Star Trek fan..... Ok is there going to be more updates on this app? I really like this app

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there will be more updates! We have not had updates in the last few months due to other project commitments, but we intend to return to active development soon so we can take advantage of the new Windows 10 APIs!

      Delete
  2. Hi i have a new w10 ms lumia 950 quite powerful, but keeps saying lcars is not supported because of missing hardware. Whats wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is something in the LCARS app itself saying this, or is it the Windows Store saying it? As far as I know there is no specific hardware required to run this app, only to use certain parts like the scanner needing the compass hardware that most phones have.

      Delete
  3. my log editor types everything backwards!! am i doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you wrap. I make sure I get it on every Windows Phone, I get. Is there any chance that all of this started? Being added to the log. It seems like it would be necessary, it would be very helpful at least. You can't do a really good captains log without a star day that's all I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HELLO i PURCHASED THIS APP WAAAAAY BACK IN 1875. i AM JUST WONDERING IF THERE WILL BE A VERSION FOR pc windows 10?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I purchased this on 5/25 and still have yet to even install it....................Windows Store downloads slow and then I found out thru google search that many people are affected by this issue.

    I then found out that here on your site you can not even download LCARS Interface and I am not happy at all.I know it's only $3 or so I spent but I did purchase this, I can not download thru MS Store, and to make my issue hurt even more you the publisher do not provide a direct download.
    At this point weeks later I give up.You and MS got my $3 for a piece of Non-existent software.You should send me an email to jordan@maine.rr.com
    I want a link provided so I can download the software I purchased.

    PS: I have already wasted days of my life going thru websites and trying various "solutions" none of which work.
    Also be aware that I have been Online since 1993 and I have spent over 25 years designing and building custom computers.I am a computer literate person.

    ReplyDelete